Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Week 12



The most dramatic development this week: reflexes. Our baby's fingers will soon begin to open and close, his/her toes will curl, eye muscles will clench, and mouth will make sucking movements. In fact, if I was to prod my abdomen, my baby will squirm in response, although I won't be able to feel it. His/her intestines, which have grown so fast that they protrude into the umbilical cord, will start to move into his abdominal cavity about now, and his/her kidneys will begin excreting urine into his bladder. Great our baby can pee!

While, nerve cells are multiplying rapidly, and in our baby's brain, and synapses are forming furiously, most important our baby's face looks like a human! The eyes have moved from the sides to the front of the head, and the ears are right where they should be. From crown to rump, our baby-to-be is just over 2 inches long (about the size of a lime) and weighs half an ounce.

Your uterus has grown to the point where you can now feel the top of it low in your abdomen. Yes, I can say this is true. I have a very very small baby bump right now. By everything I am reading says I should be in maternity clothes by now or very soon. Woohoo stretchy pants!

This week I have been so sick. I have been throwing up everything. Finally, the doctor gave me a prescription, but it just knocks me out. At first, I thought it wasn't morning sickness because my stomach hurts really bad too. But, now I think that it has something to do with motion sickness. Every time I get in the car, even if it is just around the block, I get sick. Hopefully this will pass before the end of my first trimester, which is just days away.

No comments: