Monday, December 1, 2008

Week 9


Our baby is about an inch long, which is about the size of a grape, and he/she weighs just a fraction of an ounce. He/She's starting to look more and more human; the essential body parts are accounted for, though they'll go through plenty of fine-tuning in the coming months. While the baby's heart has formed four chambers, the valves are now forming and his/her teeth and forming. Our baby's organs, muscles, and nerves are kicking into gear. The external sex organs are there but won't be distinguishable as male or female for another few weeks. His/Her eyes are fully formed, but her eyelids are fused shut and won't open until 27 weeks. He/She has tiny earlobes, and his/her mouth, nose, and nostrils are more distinct. The placenta is developed enough now to take over most of the critical job of producing hormones. Now that our baby's basic physiology is in place, he/she's poised for rapid weight gain.

I can't believe that the baby is already an inch and soon will begin doubling in size! I have been feeling really ill lately and haven't been able to eat very much. Once I finally eat something it is a chore to try and keep it down. I keep telling myself only 3 more weeks before the morning sickness should be over. I am in full pregnancy mode now, food aversion, morning sickness, cravings, and mood swings. Poor Mark! He must think I'm crazy because sometimes I do.

No comments: