Monday, March 16, 2009

Week 24

Our baby's growing steadily, having gained about 4 ounces since last week. That puts her at just over a pound (well, probably closer to 1 1/2 lbs for our baby). Since she's almost a foot long (picture an ear of corn), she cuts a pretty lean figure at this point, but her body is filling out proportionally and she'll soon start to plump up. Her brain is also growing quickly now, and her taste buds are continuing to develop. Her lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help his air sacs inflate once she hits the outside world. Her skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

Doctor's Appt
I just got back from a doctor's appointment. The doctor said everything looks great. I have gained 5 lbs in the last month, which isn't bad because I have now only gained 5 total, but since I lot about 15, I have really gained 20 or so in the last few months (gross). Since Mark is still in New York, I recorded the doctor listening to Charlotte's heartbeat through the doppler. I tried to send it to Mark. If we can I will see if we can post it on here so you can all her our beautiful baby girl's heartbeat. 

At the appointment today I was given so much information. In the next 3 weeks I have to go do the blood glucose tolerance test, which means I have to drink some nasty stuff and then wait an hour to have my blood work drawn. I will also have my other blood work drawn and get my thyroid checked. Then they gave me this huge bag full of stuff. I have my registration papers for the hospital that need to be filled at the hospital sometime next month. Also, all kinds of other information. 

Cord Blood Banking
I don't know a lot about cord blood banking but have been trying to research some on it. I received a bunch of information today about it at the doctor's office. From what I understand they bank the baby's cord blood and then if any family member (siblings, me, Mark...) or her get sick with blood cancer or something they can use the blood to help cure them. It sounds like a good thing especially with my history of blood cancer. And, if something were to happen to our baby I would love for her to have that option to be cured. But, I don't know how realistic all the information and statistics are that the companies provide parents with. And, it is really expensive (about $1500-$2000). So, I guess this is a decision we will have to make in the coming months. If anyone knows anything about this and can help provide some information, please share with us! 

Medication
At the doctor's appointment today the doctor told me to start taking Tums regularly. I have been suffering from heartburn for a few weeks now, and it has just gotten to the point when I am actually getting sick because it is so bad. I have been avoiding all acidic fruits and vegetables and spicy foods. But, even if I eat some crackers it seems like it will flare up. I have been trying not to take anything because I didn't know what I could take, but I would break down and have a Maalox every now and then. The doctor told me today to start taking Tums regularly, and if that doesn't work he will give me a prescription. Also, he told me I could take some Sudafed because I have been congested since I got back from NYC. Hopefully I will start feeling better soon. 

Charlotte's First Plane Rides
I flew to New York City this past week and back via Houston. So I took four different planes. And, three of them I got ill. I told Mark that Charlotte either loves flying or hates it because pretty much the entire flight she will move around and become very active. There was a lot of turbulence, and I feel like she could maybe feel the turning and bumping of the plane. But, I will say that I am not sure if I will fly again when I am pregnant again. I can't travel in a few weeks with this pregnancy but in future ones, I think I will think twice about the plane. 

No comments: