Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Week 30

Only 10 more weeks...
Our baby's about 15.7 inches long now, and she weighs almost 3 pounds (like a head of cabbage). A pint and a half of amniotic fluid surrounds her, but that volume will decrease as she gets bigger and takes up more room in the uterus. Her eyesight continues to develop, though it's not very keen; even after she's born, she'll keep her eyes closed for a good part of the day. When she does open them, she'll respond to changes in light but will have 20/400 vision — which means she can only make out objects a few inches from her face. (Normal adult vision is 20/20.)

"You may be feeling a little tired these days, especially if you're having trouble sleeping. You might also feel clumsier than normal, which is perfectly understandable. Not only are you heavier, but the concentration of weight in your pregnant belly causes a shift in your center of gravity. Plus, thanks to hormonal changes, your ligaments are more lax, so your joints are looser, which may also contribute to your balance being a bit off. Also, this relaxation of your ligaments can actually cause your feet to spread permanently, so you may have to invest in some new shoes in a bigger size."--babycenter.com

Changes
Mark bought me a maternity support band yesterday because I was in a lot of pain. I was having lots of pressure on my pelvic bone because I am carrying Charlotte really low. She is kicking me inside of my pelvic bone. My doctor and my LaMaze instructor both suggested that I get a support band because I carry her really low. I started more frequent Braxton Hicks contractions as well as lots of pressure on the upper part of my stomach. The band makes a huge difference, except the Velcro on parts of it can get scratchy. 

My belly-button is diffidently an outie in every possible way. Even through several layers of clothes is sticks out. Apparently, I have started snoring at night. Not to blame this on my daughter, but I wonder if this has something to do with the difficulty breathing because the baby is smooshing everything inside. Also, I can tell I have many moods lately. Not that I switch from moods often or quickly, but I can tell that I am in particular moods. Yesterday I was anxious and very worrisome, while today I was lackadaisical. 

LaMaze Class
This week in class we began with another wonderful labor video. We actually watched 3 or 4 video of birth this week, all of which are from the 80s, and I think are trying to scare us. The one person who chose to get an epidural, didn't seem like she was in much pain. 

We toured the hospital this week as well. They showed us the labor and delivery room and then the rooms upstairs in the Family Center where we will stay for 48 hours (96 if a C-Section). The rooms are all very nice. The birth center has showers, birthing balls, rocking chairs, and all kinds of freedom (we can wear whatever we want to labor and don't have to just wear the hospital gown). Also, we can have as many people as we want in the birth room, although, I think it will just be Mark, me, the nurse, and the doctor. 

The anesthesiologist came and gave a demonstration (not a real one) of the epidural. Baylor actually uses a combined spinal tap and epidural. The needles weren't too big. I actually hate IVs (believe it or not, as I have had so many in my life), because I always get scared I am going to rip them out. I didn't know the epidural is like an IV. So, this part scares me the most. But, it will be nice to have a continual release of medication. 

We learned how to use a birthing ball during pregnancy and birth. I actually already own one because it is just a work out ball. We are suppose to use the ball to help relieve pain and stretch during pregnancy and then we can use it for comfort during labor. I have basically just been sitting on it and rolling/bouncing while watching t.v.. I don't know how much it helps.

Nursery
The chandelier for Charlotte's nursery came last week. We are excited to install it, but Mark is waiting for his dad to come out and help. Here is a picture of it....

We decided that instead of spending $30-60 for a mobile, which Charlotte could only use for 6 months, that we would take that money and put it towards a mini chandelier for her room, which she can use for years. I think that this chandelier will be perfect for Charlotte's nursery.

On Saturday, Mark and his mom and I have plans to go to Canton to look for decor and trinkets for Charlotte's Shabby Chic room. We have heard of and seen some products that are super cute and have come from Canton. I am really excited because I actually have never been, and I know it will be a lot of walking. I am looking forward to see what we find. 

Work Shower
My co-workers and bosses (in the Dean's office at Truett Seminary) threw a lunch shower for Charlotte today. We had McAlister's and cupcakes from SImply Delicious... yumm! It was such a wonderful blessing to celebrate with them!

Here are a few pictures of the day. The first few pictures are of my co-workers and bosses. Then there are a few of me opening up presents. 





All of Charlotte's presents in her crib at home...



Charlotte and I...
(Pardon the clothes. I have raided Mark's dresser for my lounge clothes. His clothes are a little big on me, but they are comfortable for around the house.)

No comments: