Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Week 26

The network of nerves in our baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. She may now be able to hear both your voice and your partner's as you chat with each other (we believe she hears and responds to us). She's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of her lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when she's born and takes that first gulp of air. And she's continuing to put on baby fat. She now weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches (an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel (although our baby is a little bigger than this, probably at least 2 pounds already). 

Doctor's Visit
This week I went and had my glucose tolerance test. It wasn't at the doctor's office but at a lab across from the hospital. The sugary "drink" that they had me drink wasn't as bad as I had thought it was going to be... it was fruit punch flavored. However, within a few minutes of drinking it I started getting all shaky and eventually started blacking out, so they let me lay down. I had to keep down the drink for an hour and then get my blood drawn. Once I laid down I felt much better. I was laying on my side on the doctor's tables, which is kind of hard. And Charlotte was pumped up on sugar and very active. She kept kicking the table through the side of my stomach. I just laid there and watched/felt her kicking for about an hour. I am not sure when I will get the results of the test.

Pediatrician
I am filing the pre-registration paperwork with the hospital for the birth and there is a section where I am suppose to list the baby's pediatrician. I hadn't really even thought about choosing a doctor. So, if anyone has any recommendations for a pediatrician in Dallas (we are giving birth at Baylor Hospital in downtown) please pass along the name. I am not sure the process, but I guess we get recommendations and then contact the doctors to chose one. 

Birth-Class
Mark and I are all signed up for our birth classes at Baylor Hospital Dallas. We will go from 1:30-5:00 on three Sunday afternoons form April 19th through May 3rd. We are looking forward to learning, because we don't really know much about the whole process. However, it only means we are that much closer to giving birth!

Bricks and Tennis Shoes
I am not comparing my beautiful baby girl to a brick, but I am. People keep asking me how it feels to be carrying a baby. My answer, "it feels like there is a brick, or maybe two, in my stomach." That might be a weird comparison, but it is true. I love to feel and watch her move around, but sometimes she gets a little heavy. I might have to retire my tennis shoes. It is becoming very hard to tie and untie my shoes. And, my shoes get really tight when my feet start swelling, which leaves me in an awkward place in public struggling to loosen my shoes. 

One last Story...
to leave you with. Mark called today and I put the phone on my belly so he could talk to his daughter. When he was talking to her she started moving around and then keep kicking the phone. We know that she can hear us and responds to us. Also, I have gotten into the habit of resting books on my tummy when I am reading. Charlotte always ends up kicking the book, just to let me know that she is in there. 

And, the Bump...
people have been telling me that I "popped" or "doubled" lately. I am getting much bigger... 


1 comment:

Dave and Sarah said...

Birthing classes are very interesting and you learn tons!! You all will enjoy it.